View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default peripheral neuropathy zingers in bed

After a nerve conduction study, I was diagnosed with "acquired distal mixed demyelinating and axonal essentially symmetric motor and sensory peripheral neuropathy." I have had the symptoms described below for about 18 months. Long before the diagnosis above, which was about 2 1/2 months ago. I am currently taking 300 mg of gabapentin about 90 minutes before bed, which makes me tired and most of the time prevents the symptoms (sx) below. Not always.

I get electrical type shocks (I call them "zingers") after I have been in bed a short time. About every 15 seconds or so, I get a jolt in the sole of my foot. Sometimes its the right. Some nights its the left. Only twice in the last 18 months, have I had it happening to both feet at the same time.

If I sit up and put my feet on the floor, they stop. I get back in bed, they start up again. Sometimes I can do deep calf stretches for a couple minutes and I get 10-15 minutes relief and can sometimes I can get to sleep. Other times, I have to stretch more than once or get up and ice my foot for 20 minutes.

There is some question whether these sx are from PN or from a lower back issue. A recent MRI revealed that I have some disc bulges in the L5 S1 area and some lateral stenosis. But not anything more than might be expected for a man my age (58) who is quite active and has been for the last 40 years. Neither my neurologist or my radiologist will commit to saying the slight bulge
(6 mm) could cause this kind of radiculopathy.

So I don't know if the zingers in my feet are from the PN or a back issue. I do have other sx during the day, i.e. mild tingling/burning in the soles of my feet. Sometimes bilateral, usually just one sided.

I am new to this disease and am in the research phase. Any comments are much appreciated. Thank you.
brianmdv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote