View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 03:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash View Post
Is it possible to pick up the exercises from Dr Osars book and is it amenable to the relatively lay reader?
Osar's book is aimed at the therapist, but I found after living with this condition for 4 years I knew enough about the muscles and how to describe shoulder and hip motion to understand it. The videos are much easier to follow.

The one important thing I felt missing from the book and videos, which I have learnt through my PT in Switzerland, is how to recruit the deep thoracic muscles, which has been the main driver in straightening the thorax. I have found Osar's exercises good for increasing and maintaining motion, but missed the crucial starting point. Maybe some of his videos on breathing address this better (I have only viewed the thoracic mobility videos).

The thoracic activation is a very subtle movement which, once re-learnt, makes me wonder how I could ever have forgotten something so fundamental to movement and breathing.

The big change came when, after a couple of weeks of starting the programme, I realised my scalene muscles were feeling so relaxed - what a feeling! And I had done nothing (stretching nor exercises) aimed at the scalenes.
smaug is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Coop42 (10-29-2014)