Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

That was cute.

Thanks for posting.

We had two very young red squirrels on vacation come out of the nest in late Aug. One was severely picked upon, and chased by the other squirrels in the back yard where we have some sunflower seeds in a feeder.

So he was on the front old dock (with me) and sitting on a post and longing to swim across the water to the other side of the bay.

He was so tiny. So I got some seeds just for him and it didn't take long for him to learn to beg from me. He gained his strength and whenever he saw me in my chair he'd come and beg. So I'd throw him some seeds twice a day. He was very polite.

Here are 2 photos from the first days... showing how small he was. The first is with an 8oz yogurt cup that I used for his seeds, showing the scale/size of him.
Red Squirrels are smaller anyway, but he was tiny IMO.
They are quite destructive and we don't like them much, but this little fellow, I named Perry. His paws and feet were quite large and out of proportion to his body. But 10 days later when we left he had grown quite a bit, and seemed more confident and less bullied.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-02-2014 at 05:53 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote