View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 02:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Cute little squirrel. We live next to some old woods and have around 15 squirrels near us. I haven't seen them do anything annoying yet.

What I've learned about squirrels, having ignored them for 50 years is they are bright little critters, opportunistic and friendly. They observe humans much more than we observe them. They have different personalities, no two seem alike. They are very gentle animals. These squirrels will gently take hold of Suzy's fingers and take peanuts from her hand and you barely feel their long claws.

There is certainly a pecking order for sure and are territorial. If you are a young one or passive you better watch out because the older dominate ones will chase the younger squirrels off. They seem to eat mostly in the early morning and mid afternoon. Although some eat more than others, most seem content eating their natural food from nature, they seem to take peanuts as treats.

They do get injured frequently. I've seen 5 squirrels with injured limbs, I've seen two fall out of trees. And if you are familiar with Bott Flies, well that is a pretty disturbing site. Bott flies are parasitic flies that when they are maggots they burry just underneath the poor squirrels coat and grow and then bust out of the skin. Not a pleasant sight but not deadly either.

I've actually believe my wife and I saw a male squirrel dance and chirp nose to nose with a female squirrel while she was in heat. I never seen anything like it. At another time this particular squirrel who is close to my wife, her name is Time Piece because she does everything at a particular time during the day, was in heat and a male squirrel was following her everywhere. She led him to us, walked around our feet with him in pursuit, all very slowly a few times, jumped up on the chair next to us, out on the back deck, squeaked a bit then laid down completely flat on her stomach, all four legs sticking straight out, giving us the impression that she had had enough of this guy, "please get rid of him". Suzy wanted to change her name to the "Human Whisperer".
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-29-2014)