View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunted96 View Post
Hi,

My neurosurgeon tried changing my pressure from 1.0 to 1.5 but that only made my headaches worse. (Metrotonic Strata Valve; I apparently have slit ventricles). Turning up the pressure only made me get unsteady on my feet as well as all my other symptoms. None of them got better or worse except the headaches. My symptoms; vice like headaches that are also pounding and are all over head and 24/7 never go away, double vision, nausea & vomiting, reservoir pain, tubing pain, unsteady on feet, noise sensitivity and headaches don't respond to pain medication.

All suggestions will be considered, I just need answers xo

Thank you
Hi Shunted96,

I don't like the strata because it has big jumps and our daughter is sensitive to small pressure changes, she has super poor compliance which predates slit ventricles. Thankfully we got rid of the initial strata when she needed lower pressure than the strata would go - figured that out the slow experimental way going from 1.5 to 1.0 to .5 and looking at short term improvements with each adjustment down plus pressure readings were always lower and other stuff. The down side is the strata is ok with MR and our previous codmans got harder to reprogram after MRs, haven't done them at all for the current system. Have you ever had pressure monitoring done? Maybe something like an Orbis sigma valve would be a better fit (that was the second choice of the two different surgeons who've operated multiple times on our daughter, the one who loves strata is not her primary surgeon). Your current setup sounds miserable although the surgeon trying something is nicer than people's stories of them not listening. Really think growing up and having to stop seeing pediatric surgeons is going to be horrible.

Last edited by pogo; 10-30-2014 at 01:08 AM. Reason: fixed spelling
pogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote