Old 10-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Hi Shunted96,

I don't like the strata because it has big jumps and our daughter is sensitive to small pressure changes, she has super poor compliance which predates slit ventricles. Thankfully we got rid of the initial strata when she needed lower pressure than the strata would go - figured that out the slow experimental way going from 1.5 to 1.0 to .5 and looking at short term improvements with each adjustment down plus pressure readings were always lower and other stuff. The down side is the strata is ok with MR and our previous codmans got harder to reprogram after MRs, haven't done them at all for the current system. Have you ever had pressure monitoring done? Maybe something like an Orbis sigma valve would be a better fit (that was the second choice of the two different surgeons who've operated multiple times on our daughter, the one who loves strata is not her primary surgeon). Your current setup sounds miserable although the surgeon trying something is nicer than people's stories of them not listening. Really think growing up and having to stop seeing pediatric surgeons is going to be horrible.
Hi Pogo,

The mysteriousness of all this is that I had the exact same symptoms last year and eventually had the shunt changed in October 2013 but then began having symptoms again in November 2013 and had the shunt once again changed in June 2014. But now began having symptoms in August 2014. I hope i can find a more permanent solution. I will suggest the Orbis Sigma valve to my surgeon but being in Australia it's hard to know what's available to us compared to the US.

Thank you for your suggestion xoxo
Shunted96 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote