View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

EmmasMom2, Listen to Glenntaj! Your daughter had a "moderate to strong positive" reaction to a very specific CD test.

What doctor called to say to retest in one month? A pediatrician? She does not need to have a redo of the test. That's silly, not to mention a waste of your time and money.

This is only my opinion, but I wouldn't put my daughter through an endoscopy at 6 years of age. Nor would I allow her to suffer for another month when it's clear she has celiac disease.

I've had celiac disease for 10 years now. I had a positive Reticulin antibody, which they don't do anymore because the biopsies weren't revealing enough! Gluten was making me very ill and I quit eating it immediately.

Your daughter needs to be able to absorb vitamins and nutrients! Because of the possible damage to the small intestines, she might not be getting what she needs. Has she been tested for any vitamin deficiencies, such as B12 and D or other deficiencies such as calcium, albumin, iron, etc?

These tests are rarely false positive. And her IgA is in the normal range as well (meaning a result would not be falsely high or low).

Doctors aren't perfect. And it's your right to question what they tell you. I can't imagine a savvy gastroenterologist saying that another test or a biopsy was necessary. I think it would be useful to consult with a good one, just so that you can have an intelligent conversation about celiac disease. It's not necessary, however, unless you want to do it.

Ditto on what Glenntaj said about other family members. Chances are high that you or her father might get CD at some point (have you been tested?), too.

There are other issues to consider, such as school lunches and cross contamination and so many other things that these guys on this forum have covered through the years.

I'm usually on the MG (myasthenia gravis) forum, but I check over here from time to time. I answered your post because I get pretty tired of doctors not respecting test results, especially when a child is suffering!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote