View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 03:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Does that say "Immunoglobulin B?" The one that is 303? It's a bit hard to read. Depending upon what that is, you might need to see an immunologist. There aren't many pediatric immunologists, so you might need to see a "regular" one. What vaccines has she had? It might be a reflection of that.

I thought it was the pediatrician. They aren't gastroenterologists, and have only limited experience with celiac disease. And she isn't an allergist either! A person doesn't have to have allergies and celiac disease at the same time. And celiac disease is not an allergy, but an autoimmune response (a lot of people have that misconception, even doctors!).

You should be pretty happy that those allergy tests were negative. I can't believe they did so many.

You should all have your B12 tested, too! Methylcobalamin (I like Jarrow Formula's brand) is the better form of B12, in case you are deficient. I take it daily (I had a severe deficiency diagnosed in 1999).

There is gluten in a lot of things, not only food. Some toothpastes have it. The glue on envelopes, too. You will probably have to do a lot of label reading! Even some hair coloring has gluten in it. Shampoo too!

Basic information on CD:

http://celiac.org/celiac-disease/wha...eliac-disease/

There are good tips on going GF on this site:

http://www.celiac.com

You should know that there is not a definitive answer on whether oats are okay to eat or not. I listen to my stomach, not studies, and it told me to NOT eat oats! I got sick every time I tried it and I never got sick from oats before getting CD.

There are a lot of GF sources out there. www.iherb.com has GF foods, as do a lot of stores. If you can have as many whole foods as possible, that helps.

One of the best flours I've found is "Better Batter." It's an all-purpose flour for baking and cooking.

There are great tips on this site as well.

What else do you need to know? It can be overwhelming, but just take it a step at a time. She can even have cross contamination if you don't use separate cooking and baking pans, etc.

I really think your daughter needs to go GF immediately. Don't wait for a conversation. She is having damage done to her small intestines and it takes a while for that to be repaired.

I hope you guys can get used to this new GF world! It's not that bad, really. And kids are so great at adapting!

Annie

Last edited by AnnieB3; 10-31-2014 at 05:29 PM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote