Thread: Hole in my gum?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

AKDENTAL,

Unless you get food caught in between your teeth, you only need to floss once a day just before you go to sleep at night. Excess flossing can be irritating to the gum tissue and it is just not necessary. You also only need to brush your teeth 2-3 times a day max. Again, unless you get something caught or you you've eaten something sticky like raisins.

It's important to be thorough with tooth brushing and flossing but when done in excess it can lead to recession of gum tissue. If there is no decay on that tooth, then the gum tissue may be an injury from excessive brushing. It's best to get it checked out with those xrays that I told you about.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDENTAL View Post
Thank you so much again, Bryanna. I'll see a dentist about the hole.

In the meantime, I wonder if I'm flossing too much? I usually floss, brush, then floss again. I usually go thru the routine after I ate, so I floss about 6 times a day. Am I causing damage?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote