Thread: Scared silly
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Marie,

I am glad that the oral surgeon has been truthful with you and that he postponed the surgery for tomorrow so you can have the IV sedation.

Regarding the length of the fasting. You should not eat anything after midnight. However, you can have a small cup of water up to 6 hours prior to the surgery.

You may or may not bleed a lot and you may not bleed for very long. Everyone is different. It is important to follow the post op instructions about biting down on the gauze because in doing so the blood will clot faster. You will need to eat within an hour or two after the surgery so you can take pain meds. Something like scrambled eggs, apple sauce, a protein shake, mash potatoes, fruit smoothies, cooked fish, soup broths, things like that. Hopefully you have some of those things in your pantry.

I know this is scary but you will probably do much better than you imagine. Try not to worry about all the little details or the what ifs. Just be prepared with your food before you go, so that you do not have to think about that when the time comes. Plan on eating a soft food diet for the rest of the week. Plan on resting the rest of the day tomorrow.

Sinus perforations occur frequently, so your oral surgeon knows what to do. Tomorrow is about removing that very sick tooth and once that is gone then your body will start to heal. So it's all about taking one step at a time and taking good care of yourself so the next step is easier than the last one.

You will find that you will be able to eat without a problem after that tooth is removed. Again, one step at a time.

Please check in with us when you can. Keeping you in our prayers..... and I'm sure everything is going to be okay.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAM1 View Post
So I wrote a long response to Bryanna a few days ago but somehow it didn't get posted. Well, rather than doing it again I will just update. I finished the antibiotic Thursday and was supposed to have the extraction Friday but now it's tomorrow (Monday). When the OS say my x-rays he said there was no way to avoid a sinus perforation because the roots of that molar are completely inside the sinus. He said I should get the IV anesthesia and have it done Monday. I am glad he will put me out although now I am worried about the fasting. I can't eat after midnight and the extraction/surgery isn't until noon Monday and then I won't be able to eat because I will be numb and then I won't be able to eat because I will be bleeding. I am thinking I will faint if I have to go 24 hours without eating. I am very scared of how much bleeding and pain will be involved since i know ahead of time this is complicated with risk of complications. I don't think I've ever been this scared in my whole life. So I am asking everyone to pray for me tomorrow that it all goes smoothly. The OS said since I have had the sinus infections we will wait on doing the sinus lift/bone grafts. He doesn't know yet whether I will even be able to get an implant. He said there's only about 1 mm clearance. So before an implant or bridge, how does one chew when the main molar you chew with is missing?

Marie

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote