View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 08:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ahhh. Parkinson's. The gift that keeps on giving. The night before we left on our trip, 7 weeks ago, I had a REM sleep behavior disorder dream. Such dreams are notable in that the dreamer acts out violence in some way or another. With medication, I seldom have REM dreams, but they are always memorable. This time I warded off "danger" by kicking. (We refer to these as Nanja Kicks.) I was on my right side so I kicked as hard as I could with my left foot, right into the wooden bedside set of drawers. It felt as though I had broken my foot, but with some massage and the help of a sleeping pill, I was able to finish out the night. For the last 7 weeks we have been either fishing or hiking nearly every day. The foot hurt but there was no time to deal with it and I pointed out to Doug that if the toes were broken, the doctor would probably just tape them together anyway. We returned Thurs. afternoon and as the toes are still swollen I went to have it checked out Friday. My middle toe is broken from the tip to the base but is healing nicely and there is nothing different to be done. The big toe already had some arthritis but I jammed it so fiercely that the arthritis is greatly accelerated and may need cortisone when I'm fed up with the pain...not yet. I learned that the best thing I can do for myself is to wear hiking boot type shoes, just like I have been doing on the whole trip! I assured the doctor that this would be a new story and it was for sure. (I moved the bedside furniture and bought new shoes with a harder toe and more toe room.) What next?!!
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote