View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 08:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default BuTrans Patch And My SFN Arm

Good morning everyone

I'm happy to report that the BuTrans Patch 5mcg/hr is working nicely on my resting pain and I've been able to reduce my hydro on my good days. It doesn't do anything for the pain when I do anything physical. Cleaning, cooking for trying to go to the store still puts me in the bed taking full hydro's 10-325.

I do want to tell you what happened with my 2nd patch and see if anyone has heard of this happening before. Went for my 2nd visit to the pain mgmt. dr yesterday and he said he's never heard of it affecting anyone like that before but was very interested in my details which are:

2nd patch was placed on my upper right arm which I call my SFN arm. I thought the patch would help that arm. Boy was I WRONG about that ! Immediately upon placing the patch my arm felt 'strange'. From the strange it went to pain of 9 and stayed from 7 to 9 for 5 days until my daughter begged me to let her change the patch. Which I did. As soon as the patch was removed I felt immediate relief. It still took me 3 days in the bed, taking my full dose of hydro, after it was removed to get over all the affects it caused.

So that's my question. Has anyone heard of this before ? Of the patch being placed on an offending extremity and causing more pain to that extremity ?

On to my visit of yesterday. He increased my BuTrans to 7.5 mcg/hr which is a brand new dose they have come out with. We again discussed a sympathetic nerve block for my left leg/foot and I have agreed to have it done on Nov 20th under sedation. I'm a chicken and would not have it done if I was awake. Just sayin'

I would also like to mention that reducing my hydro doesn't seem to have affected me in any way. No withdrawal symptoms. Would that be because I'm on the patch ?

Thanks for taking to time to read my current story.

Debi from Georgia
St George 2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (11-05-2014), hopeful (11-06-2014), Hopeless (11-08-2014), Kitt (11-05-2014), Susanne C. (11-05-2014)