View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Buprenorphine will displace other opiate drugs from the pain receptors in the brain. Taking an opiod for breakthru therefore may not work well for some patients, as the pain receptors may be blocked by Buprenorphine.

This is pretty complicated and patients do respond differently.
Buprenorphine may in some cases precipitate withdrawal in patients taking high dose opiates for pain. Buprenorphine has less euphoric side effects as well.

Technically buprenorphine is also less effective in lower doses for pain.

I think you should search this drug with a keyword "buprenorphine mu receptors" and take what you find to your doctor. Many doctors do not understand how this drug really works.

I am not finding much on "more pain" with this patch.
But here is a copy of the patient info you should read:
http://www.rxlist.com/butrans-drug/medication-guide.htm

"Inadequate analgesia" is listed at
http://www.drugcite.com/?q=butrans

Don't hesitate to contact your doctor. Also I guess it is possible but not likely that you received a package that was pirated.
Black market forgeries do exist for many drugs...if a drug you use acts strange, this should be reported. I am not seeing any reports today of fraudulent product, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

You are not seeing a withdrawal from hydrocodone, because Buprenorphine is used to withdraw people from narcotics. Most normal doses of opioid would be replaced on the receptors by the buprenorphine. If you didn't take really high doses like some oxy people do you most likely would not notice withdrawal. In the same token, additional opioids may not work well for breakthru while using buprenorphine.

It is possible you placed the patch over a nerve path..so use another application site and see if the same thing happens.
There may be a local irritant effect that doesn't show up yet on the reports of side effects, as this patch is still quite new.
If you didn't get ANY pain relief elsewhere, I'd worry about a fraudulent product.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (11-05-2014), St George 2013 (11-05-2014), zkrp01 (11-05-2014)