View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon4309 View Post
Hi Betsy
I can relate to not wanting to increase my meds. I can only write from Sinemet
and Requip. The Requip IMHO made me worse and very tired. The only other med I have taken is Sinemet. This to , in high doses can cause paranoia and sleep problems. After DBS my programmer stopped the comptan. The second time she reduced the 25/100 to 14 from 21mg...and 1 reduction of 3 50/200 CR to 2 pills. The paranoia and other side effects have dissipated. I would like to decrease more. On the third programming just 1 25/100 was reduced. My next programming is in December. I have changed my diet to modified Atkins where I can consume as much leafy greens and 1 or 2 handfuls of fruits. I also have greek yogurt and organic whole wheat bread sparingly. Snacks include hard boiled eggs, 12 cashews and carb free protein bar. For dinner I eat Salmon ,chicken and turkey. There is research out there that touts Atkins as neuro protective but to counter that claim the inhibition of sinemet's effectiveness is jeopardized. Thus far 6 days I have lost 2 lbs nothing to write home about. If I were to stick to a strict 20grams per day Atkin's plan. I probably would have lost 6 to 8 lbs. Atkins benefits as a potential for slowing progression, are not enough to consume fat every day. For now I will stay the course. Another problem with Atkins is the rapid weight gain and more of it should it be stopped
Hi Damon,

I've been in NYC celebrating my daughter's 25th birthday, going nonstop with NYC marathon and party, theatre, dinners, Knicks Wizards game, and shopping so been out of touch. Reality hits Friday when I go home.
I'm so happy that you've been able to get off some of these IMHO horrible meds.
I'm on relatively low doses of Miraplex (1.5mg) and it's hard now to tolerate the side effects on some days. It's different on different days. Not sure why. So I see BDS in my future but hoping something less drastic can be done in the future. I have the utmost respect and admiration for you and the many others who have undergone this procedure. It freaks me out watching this procedure on YouTube while people are AWAKE. So, I'm happy, from the sounds of it, that you are doing better and able to lower your medication dosage. How is your mobility doing? Is that improving? Are you driving?
As for the diet, It sounds like we are eating the same things. I think the diet I'm on may allow more carbs 50-60 gms per day but I really don't count. I know what to eat and most of the time stick to the plan. Yes, I've read the same literature posted on this forum about this diet being neuro protective but that's what Dr. Perlmutter claimed in his book; that's why I started following the diet.
It gets easier and the desire for all carbs gets less and less, at least for me, the longer I've been on the diet. Even in NYC the past week I've followed the diet except I'm eating more fruit and less vegetables and definitely a lot less organic than when I'm home. But, no weight gain, of course between the hotel treadmill and all the walking outside that helps.
Please keep me posted on your diet and DBS progress. I'm cheering you on!!
I'm curious about one thing, is this weight gain just a temporary thing with DBS or is it different with different people or is it something you have to learn to live with?
All the best,

Betsy
Betsy859 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote