View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Wt gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy859 View Post
Hi Damon,

I've been in NYC celebrating my daughter's 25th birthday, going nonstop with NYC marathon and party, theatre, dinners, Knicks Wizards game, and shopping so been out of touch. Reality hits Friday when I go home.
I'm so happy that you've been able to get off some of these IMHO horrible meds.
I'm on relatively low doses of Miraplex (1.5mg) and it's hard now to tolerate the side effects on some days. It's different on different days. Not sure why. So I see BDS in my future but hoping something less drastic can be done in the future. I have the utmost respect and admiration for you and the many others who have undergone this procedure. It freaks me out watching this procedure on YouTube while people are AWAKE. So, I'm happy, from the sounds of it, that you are doing better and able to lower your medication dosage. How is your mobility doing? Is that improving? Are you driving?
As for the diet, It sounds like we are eating the same things. I think the diet I'm on may allow more carbs 50-60 gms per day but I really don't count. I know what to eat and most of the time stick to the plan. Yes, I've read the same literature posted on this forum about this diet being neuro protective but that's what Dr. Perlmutter claimed in his book; that's why I started following the diet.
It gets easier and the desire for all carbs gets less and less, at least for me, the longer I've been on the diet. Even in NYC the past week I've followed the diet except I'm eating more fruit and less vegetables and definitely a lot less organic than when I'm home. But, no weight gain, of course between the hotel treadmill and all the walking outside that helps.
Please keep me posted on your diet and DBS progress. I'm cheering you on!!
I'm curious about one thing, is this weight gain just a temporary thing with DBS or is it different with different people or is it something you have to learn to live with?
All the best,

Betsy
Hi Betsy and Damon,
I had DBS almost 11 yrs ago and found I gained wt fairly rapidly after the procedure.
My neuro told me its because of the calories we lose when we're dyskinesic and since that ceases after DBS we gain wt.
For me as well as that I would have to add my sudden joy of eating whatever and whenever I liked!
Ive started being more cautious of what and when I eat lately and now that I'm back to relying on Sinemet a bit more find that it works so much better on a relatively empty stomach.
Best wishes.
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Betsy859 (11-08-2014)