View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
That seems like an insane waste of resources, quite frankly. Online degree programs usually have very low graduation rates. If you were able to complete a college degree in 5 years, it would seem like you should be capable of working even a part time online job making substantially more than what you would receive from SSI. Have you looked for a job on your own or considered some type of small business? You will often get first priority with government jobs due to being disabled (you'd have to research your local policies if such priorities would apply.)

SS does factor your level of education into their decision, so by completing a degree you just made it more difficult to qualify. If you had a few failed job attempts prior to applying, I believe your application would be more credible.

An OTR decision just means you're asking for a decision to be made now, prior to an ALJ hearing. If there is enough evidence than you might be able to avoid to a hearing. Contacting your local Congressperson might be able to speed up the process, but only if you're facing eviction or foreclosure generally--unless there has been lengthy delays in your case which it doesn't sound like.
I agree with you that it does seem like a waste of resources, but at the time, we thought I would improve, and I only got worse. In the end, I was just struggling to complete the classes and wanted to be done. I didn't even get the degree I sought - I ended up with an integrative studies degree which basically means that I didn't complete any full course of study, but rather had four different courses of study that were compiled into one degree. I was so miserable at the end, I just wanted it over. I have attempted to find employment, and I am working with the vocational rehabilitation office, but even they say with my disabilities they cannot place me. They sent me to a psychologist who said I shouldn't work for now, that I need time to get better. My problem is that I haven't worked a job since 2007, and I was there a short time and then put on short term disability which ran out, and I was denied long term disability, and ultimately terminated.

Lawyer has filed for an OTR decision. Guess I wait and see what happens next......
sunflowersue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote