View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 09:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What a difficult spot to be in and one that likely doesn't have any easy answers.

I don't have any answers on how to convince your doctor to write a letter - sad that he won't help but, even if he did it sounds like the odds are stacked against you in that the Judge wouldn't likely honor it regardless. My suggestion would be to contact the ADA, your local Ombudsman and possibly the ACLU to see if there is anything they can offer to help.

In the meantime I would suggest discussing what types of community service you can do and how many hours per week you are required to do. Depending on the crime you were sentenced for you may be able to volunteer at a library, assisted living facility, or even just help those in need around your local area in smaller increments of time. Working on the time required per month or week would be my priority, if I was in your shoes. The alternative is converting that time to a longer jail sentence if you absolutely cannot do anything. Once you have some hours in on community service you could then plead with the court to reduce the community service hours but, that won't likely happen until you've done some time.

Just an observation but, in your post you mention you have a home, land, a husband and 3 adult children to take care of.. if this was said to a Judge, Probation Officer or others in the legal system it could be taken out of context - they might think that if you 'can' take care of all of that you 'can' do some type of community service.

Sounds also like you need to find another doctor - one that will work on your medication regimen.

You certainly have a tough road/choices ahead, I wish you luck. You may have to shift your focus (change perspective) before you get anywhere with all of this. For instance instead of looking and saying 'I cannot do it' you might have to figure out what if anything you can do if there is no other choice. It is much easier for them to work with someone or 'try' to work with someone who is willing to do something rather than someone who isn't willing to do anything.

Good luck,
Tessa
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
catra121 (11-06-2014), visioniosiv (11-06-2014)