View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 09:56 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynsey78 View Post
Hello there,
Just wanted to know if anyone could tell me about their experiences recovering from this op please?

My b/f needs to have rib one resection due to on going blood clots. He's had 3 in his upper right arm in the last 2 months but no other symptoms. They don't really know what is causing the clots as he's also having chemotherapy and had a PICC line fitted in this arm originally that the vein kept rejecting

However he is a roof tiller by trade & the arm that clots is his lifting arm.
How are any of you now with lifting heavy weight? We are concerned he won't be able to go back to his trade again after the op.

Thank you for any advice anyone can offer, there seems very little on the internet of personal recovery stories.
Hi Lynsey,

I suffer(ed) from TOS in both arms, i'm right hand dominant, I'd been experiencing most of the common symptoms (tingling, no pulse, shooting pains ect.) and have had had it investigated for the last 6-7 years, finally had it diagnosed in 2013.

The condition got notably worse over the years, I was very active and was climbing/kayaking/cycling pretty much every day, eventually had to stop all sports except cycling as if my arms were raised above chest height my symptoms would come on.

I had my right arm operated on in April (2014), had a 1st Rib Resection and partial scalenectomy. I'm now symptom free in my right arm, and would consider myself fully recovered from surgery, however it took a long time before I was back to full strength in that arm post surgery.

Following the surgery I was in hospital for 3 days then released home, pain wasn't 'that' bad as long as I didn't move the arm. Following a 5 hour drive home from the hospital (which was hell), home life and re-adjusting was OK, pain was uncomfortable but not severe.

I was given a set of physio exercises to-do immediately after surgery, it is crucial to do these and stick to them for proper recoverery. My range of movement went from only being able to move my hand, to having my arm above my head within a week; I got a little more movement and a little less pain each day. Just stick with it.

As far as strength went, I took it very easy for 10 weeks and didn't really lift much, but I don't think I could to be honest, it was uncomfortable. Around 2 and a half/3 months later I was able to start lifting properly, and could actually do a press-up for the first time in months. I wouldn't bank of being back to full strength for a few months, unfortunately it will only delay healing if you push too hard.

My line of work does involve lifting and moving product around, however my employee were very understanding and I just did as much as I could, which was not a lot for a few months.. I would have been worried if my line of work was in labour though.

I've got to have my second operation in 2 weeks time, for my left hand. I'm hoping recovery will be about the same. I'm looking forwards to being able to go back to all the sports I loved next summer, hopefully within 2-3 months of surgery I can focus on getting fit and building strength again.

Good luck to your BF, hope the surgery goes OK for him. Feel free to message me if you would like any more information.

Thanks,

Jonesy
jonesyh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote