View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 01:18 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Tried Sinemet and Requip

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
you have to keep in mind that lurking is also taking carbidopa/levodopa (sinemet) and the carbidopa inactivates an enzyme which converts the l-dopa to dopamine before it reaches the brain, thus allowing more l-dopa to get to the brain.

so she can theoretically get a greater affect from mucana than someone not taking carbidopa.

on a slightly different topic, have you tried sinemet? it won't kill you and at least you'll know if it works or not and you should know in a few days. then add some mucana and see what happens.

if you are sacrificing quality of life because you are afraid of taking sinemet, not sure if that makes sense. just my honest opinion. and if vigorous exercise turns out to slow progression, you'll miss out on that.
Hi Soccertese -- Thanks for your response. I did try Sinemet twice. Once for only 4 days at 25/100 x3. It made me nauseous and did not affect my tremor so the DR recommended I try it again at 1/2 a pill 3 times a day for at least a week. I did and although I wasn't nauseous, again it had no affect on my tremor or anything else that I could tell (I'm a little uncoordinated).

I also tried Requip for a week. I felt headachy, dizzy and generally blah and again no affect on my tremor. I still shook -- I just felt sick while doing it.

I'm 55 and generally quite active. I exercise every day -- ride my bike at least 5 miles or walk briskly at least two miles. I also do yoga. Exercise makes me feel good but exacerbates my tremor -- stupid tremor just won't quit!

I researched Mucuna and thought I'd read somewhere that it didn't require carbidopa to get to the brain so I thought I'd give it a shot. Does everyone who has found Mucuna helpful also take sinemet? What symptoms do you have that are relieved? How much sinemet and/or mucuna are you taking? Is it a concern if you take both sinemet and mucuna that you will over medicate? I feel like I'm swimming in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight.

I met a man at a local PWP support group who has had tremor for 10 years and nothing, including sinemet, seems to help. I'm worried this is where I'm headed.

Joanne
joanne721 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote