View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 02:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne721 View Post

I'm 55 and generally quite active. I exercise every day -- ride my bike at least 5 miles or walk briskly at least two miles. I also do yoga. Exercise makes me feel good but exacerbates my tremor -- stupid tremor just won't quit!

I researched Mucuna and thought I'd read somewhere that it didn't require carbidopa to get to the brain so I thought I'd give it a shot. Does everyone who has found Mucuna helpful also take sinemet? What symptoms do you have that are relieved? How much sinemet and/or mucuna are you taking? Is it a concern if you take both sinemet and mucuna that you will over medicate? I feel like I'm swimming in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight.

I met a man at a local PWP support group who has had tremor for 10 years and nothing, including sinemet, seems to help. I'm worried this is where I'm headed.

Joanne
Sorry, I can't offer any information about mucuna or sinemet, as I've never used either. However, as soccertese stated, tremor is typically the most difficult symptom to control with meds. My tremor isn't as bad as you describe, but I've been able to get some mild control with Amantadine (and have had no side effects from it). I've also had some PWP tell me they get some relief from Artane (trihexyphenidyl), but it does have more side effects (I've never tried it). Finally, you may want to try Propranolol, which is a hypertension drug that has been used quite successfully for controlling tremor with Essential Tremor. It doesn't usually work as well with PD, but it may be worth trying it. Of course, I'm assuming you discuss all of these thoughts with your MDS and not try anything on your own.

Regarding exercise, it does tend to make the tremor worse right afterwards, but then it helps me a lot for the rest of the day. This is very common with most PWP who have tremor. Anything that will get your adrenaline flowing will typically increase tremor short term.

Good luck,

Gary
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bogusia (11-06-2014), lab rat (11-06-2014), soccertese (11-06-2014)