View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Foot drop caused by L5 S1, do I need surgery? Will I be able to walk again?

Hi,

For almost a year, I've been suffering from severe pain when I start walking. EMG, x-ray and MRI scans around my foot & ankle showed nothing. A few days ago, I saw a neurologist and she told that it could be foot drop. I haven't got my MRI scan yet but I am almost sure that I have foot drop caused by a problem in L5 S1. Whenever I do the dorsiflexion move, right after 3-4 times, it starts burning and I can't do it anymore. Severe pain is also making it impossible for me to take even short walks.

I will see my doctor on November 17 with results but in January, I have to go abroad for a few days. And I am concerned both about my travel to abroad and health.

Do you think it would require a surgery? I mean, I have really severe pain and difficulty with walking. What can be done to relieve the disc and let me lift my ankle again, except surgery?

Will I be able to play basketball or run again, if my problems are due to some problems with L5 S1? Because of my back problems, I am almost sure about this.

If I have to be operated... How long should I stay in bed? Soon my exams will start, in January I have to go abroad... I feel really depressed. I want to be healthy again but I can't afford missing my exams or losing the chance of my life to go abroad.

Please share your thoughts.

Note: I am 20 year-old male. As I said, there's nothing wrong with my nerves according to EMG results. I've had various scans of x-ray, EMG and MRI for my problematic right foot and simply nothing came out of them. Everything's fine.
Rigelmeister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote