View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St George 2013 View Post
Good morning everyone

I'm happy to report that the BuTrans Patch 5mcg/hr is working nicely on my resting pain and I've been able to reduce my hydro on my good days. It doesn't do anything for the pain when I do anything physical. Cleaning, cooking for trying to go to the store still puts me in the bed taking full hydro's 10-325.

I do want to tell you what happened with my 2nd patch and see if anyone has heard of this happening before. Went for my 2nd visit to the pain mgmt. dr yesterday and he said he's never heard of it affecting anyone like that before but was very interested in my details which are:

2nd patch was placed on my upper right arm which I call my SFN arm. I thought the patch would help that arm. Boy was I WRONG about that ! Immediately upon placing the patch my arm felt 'strange'. From the strange it went to pain of 9 and stayed from 7 to 9 for 5 days until my daughter begged me to let her change the patch. Which I did. As soon as the patch was removed I felt immediate relief. It still took me 3 days in the bed, taking my full dose of hydro, after it was removed to get over all the affects it caused.

So that's my question. Has anyone heard of this before ? Of the patch being placed on an offending extremity and causing more pain to that extremity ?

On to my visit of yesterday. He increased my BuTrans to 7.5 mcg/hr which is a brand new dose they have come out with. We again discussed a sympathetic nerve block for my left leg/foot and I have agreed to have it done on Nov 20th under sedation. I'm a chicken and would not have it done if I was awake. Just sayin'

I would also like to mention that reducing my hydro doesn't seem to have affected me in any way. No withdrawal symptoms. Would that be because I'm on the patch ?

Thanks for taking to time to read my current story.

Debi from Georgia
Good morning, so great to find that others are using Butrans patch. I have CRPS, small nerve fiber polyneuropathy and erythromelalgia. Been using it (20 mcg and recently added a 5 mcg) for over 2 years and it has definitely helped with pain control. I also use Nucynta for breakthrough pain. Before switching from OxyContin, which I requested, I had pain flares wrecking havoc on my physical and mental state. With the patch and a steady stream of med in my system, I can function at a baseline 5-6 pain level. Like you mentioned Debi, any physical activity or sometimes just walking down the hall can cause a flare up to 7-8. I don't always take Nucynta for these, as getting my feet elevated ( a must because the bottoms of my feet, especially the soles are involved) meditating, resting, etc....can sometimes bring the pain level back down.

I'm happy to read it's working for you! I've not experienced what you described, increased pain after placing the patch as my initial injury was my right foot. I use my upper arms and my chest for placement and rotate them. The upper chest gets into my system faster, I think, as there is less fat in this area. Good luck going forward and I will look for your updates.

Thanks mrsD for great info about the drug. I wish more folks were able to use it.
deb b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (11-08-2014), Hopeless (11-08-2014), mrsD (11-08-2014), St George 2013 (11-09-2014)