View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 03:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi, Lindsey!

So glad to have you here with us, but sorry for the reasons why. I can really relate to your story - a lot of us had to go through the "TOS shuffle" for years, seeing doctor after doctor, submitting to test after test, to finally receive the dx of TOS and a promise of recovery with surgical tx.

I assume your surgeon performed a scalene block on you to confirm the dx. Is that correct? If not, how did he arrive at the dx, if you don't mind my asking? Do you have "true" neurogenic TOS or "disputed" neurogenic TOS? That is a distinction with a difference, only because if it is the former, then proceeding to surgery straight away makes sense. If it's the latter, however, then in my experience, most of the top TOS docs would have you try a couple of other things first, just to see if your sx can be managed nonsurgically.

For example, some of us have had good results from Botox injections into the anterior scalene, subclavius and/or pec minor muscles. The effects can last for several months at a time. Another avenue, often complementary to Botox injections, is a course of the "right" form of PT - meaning one using a TOS protocol, NOT the "no pain, no gain" modality most PTs are trained to use. Lastly, some TOSers have had amazing results using chiropractic care to manage their sx and avoid having to have TOS surgery.

Lindsey, I know you are excited to have answers at last, and I am certainly not trying to discourage you. It's just that this is a risky surgery with no guarantees that it will make you better, and it has a long and difficult recovery for most of us. You've come this far, and there is no reason to rush into surgery without trying some other stuff first.

I wish someone had said this to me when I (finally!) got my NTOS dx in 2005. As it turned out, even though I went to one of the top TOS surgeons in the country, my surgery failed and I am still working to get back to where I was BEFORE the TOS dx. I don't blame anyone; it's just the nature of the beast!

Please just consider taking some time to enjoy the holidays, learn more about NTOS and who the best healthcare providers are in your area for this blasted disorder (you're going to need a TOS-savvy PT whether you need the surgery or not), and maybe try some of the noninvasive or less invasive tx options before making such a major life decision. You're so young!

I wish you the very best. Keep posting here and let us know how you're doing, OK? We're here, if you have any questions or concerns. Take care!

Alison

Last edited by Sea Pines 50; 11-08-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: dot i's, cross t's…
Sea Pines 50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote