Old 11-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeks3010 View Post
Hi Nan!

Sorry about your toe [s], but so glad that you had a happy birthday in Yellowstone!! I am a new member on "NeuroTalk"... my dad has Parkinson's Disease--showed up immediately after receiving a course of the antibiotic, Flagyl. He has now had what appears to be full blown Parkinson's Disease for a year and a half... It has been an extremely difficult path for him for some time now. I have only recently come upon information relative to the benefit of forced exercise via biking on Parkinson's Disease victims.
I am really excited to be an active participant on this blog!! I am seriously contemplating purchasing a Motomed Viva 2 Parkinson. It is an exercise bike made by Reck, a company in Germany. It has specific programs in it for various diseases/strokes, etc. Have you heard anything about this particular piece of equipment??? I would be very interested in any information since it is expensive and would be a major purchase for us to make...
He is currently taking Sinemet 25/100 2 to 3 times per day along with .75mg of Xanax 2 to 3 times per day. I do not know if this medication regime is the ultimate one for my dad; we don't get a great impression of the neurologist's input when we have visited...
may i ask where you live? there is a program called PEDALLING FOR PD at YMCA'S using spin bikes. i have no knowledge of that bike but i have been in a tandem forced exercise trial and spin classes and use a stationary recumbent at home. getting out of the house and socializing has it's own benefits as does other forms of exercise such as weight training, dance, tai chi.
if he's physically capable, i'd have your father try a spin bike or recumbent bike at a health club and see if he can work up to the suggested cadence / heart rate before spending a lot of money on a motorized bike.
how is your father doing on that drug regieme, the sinemet schedule sounds pretty typical for someone starting off, when qty is more important than careful timing timing.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote