View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Buster,

Glad to hear that your arthritic symptoms have improved since the removal of your tooth.

Given your description of the pain and when you first experienced pain, I would say you probably have a dry socket. This needed to be seen by the oral surgeon soon after that pain developed so he could have treated it. To be honest, I am surprised that he said it looked yesterday especially since it was not treated and you were still having that pain. The swelling could indicate that there is inflammation from having the dry socket or it could be sinus related. The antibiotic will help but the site may need a little intervention.

Did the surgeon mention anything about the sinuses when he extracted the tooth? Like the root was in close proximity to it... there was a sinus perforation or communication... the infection (black area on the xray above the tooth) was into or near the sinus... anything like that???

It would be wise to ask him.... "Did I have or do I have a dry socket?" Also ask him the same questions that I asked you about the sinuses.

What have you been rinsing your mouth with?

Are you brushing and flossing all of your teeth?

Have you been eating on that side of your mouth?

I also want to tell you that although it feels like you have traded one issue for another.... the issue you have now is treatable and hopefully it will be better soon. The RA would have been a progressive condition AND you would have still had an infected tooth in your head. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel... it's just covered in pain and disappointment right now :/

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster23 View Post
Good news/bad news.....I had the tooth extracted a week ago. About 12 hours after it was removed I started noticing that my arthritis was going away. Yippee. However, 4 days after the extraction I noticed some pain in my gums above the extraction. It gradually worsened, so I call the surgeons office and they called in an antibiotic for me. That was on Sunday. Every day since then my pain has gotten worse. I went and saw my surgeon yesterday. He said everything looked ok and to wait until Friday to see if the pain started to subside. He gave me a prescription for pain meds the day of the extraction (last weds) and I didn't take any until today. I woke up this morning with swelling on my cheek. I called them back to report this and am going back in to be seen tomorrow. I'm happy that my arthritis went away, but not happy that I traded it for a whole new set of problems.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote