View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Tips to minimize discomfort after first rib resection

Hi everyone,

I'm a 33 year old male with bilateral TOS for 2.5 years. I'm scheduled to have a first rib resection on my right side (Dr. Hugh Gelabert, UCLA) in one month. I know that everyone's experience is different, but I still thought I'd ask those who have gone through this procedure a few questions.

First, are there things that people found particularly helpful during their recovery that I might make sure I have before the operation? Here are some ideas:

1) We do not currently have a recliner. Would it be in my best interest to get one before the surgery? Or will a couch be sufficient? I have a pretty comfortable ergonomic desk chair, but I'm not sure sitting on that all day would be that good of an idea.

2) Similarly, I was thinking buying a bed wedge system to lay in bed while keeping more upright would be a good idea. Would anyone recommend this?

Second, we have a new baby at home, but obviously he likes to be held. I know it will be not be possible to pick him up for some time after the surgery, but I was wondering how long it might be?

Last, it seems like everyone mentions some difficulty or pain breathing after the procedure. This sounds really awful. For this, and the pain and swelling in general, are there any tricks or things people learned during their recovery that they wish they had known about before the procedure (e.g., optimal positions to sit, stand, or sleep)? It would be great to have some ideas about how to minimize discomfort etc. beforehand.

Thanks very much for all your help.
newdad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote