View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 11:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help fragile head

I know exactly what you are going through. It has been 6 years since my life changing head injury and I seem to spend more time recovering from the effect of minor (and I mean minor) head bumps that I just accept it as the reality of my life.

My usual cycle starts from either a direct tap to the head or a jolt to my body that suddenly changes my body's momentum (like striking my shoulder on the frame of a door). Within 30 minutes, I'll feel a head pressure and fogginess. Thankfully it never progresses to pain. However my cognitive stamina markedly decreases for a day or two. The harder the jolt, the longer the recovery time. As silly as it sounds, thinking too much (academic work) becomes quite uncomfortable. The other notable change during one of these cycles is the inability to tolerate a rise in heart rate/blood pressure with exercise or straining. Eventually things settle with time. The fastest recovery occurs when I COMPLETELY rest both physically and cognitively. However that's not always possible.

What I've come to respect and accept is that there are no shortcuts to recovering from these cycles. You really have to slow down and be patient.

Be reassured that you are not alone with your symptoms. Treat you periods of recovery as you would a friend: with patience and respect. Best of luck.

Canadoc
Canadoc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anja 70 (11-14-2014), Susie1 (07-11-2019)