View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 06:26 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Well, its a long shot but it is a shot. There are a small number of dentists who are using a root canal filling material that has formaldehyde as its active ingredient. The theory is that the powder formaldehyde, when mixed with the liquid components, off gasses into the nooks and crannies of the tooth therefore "disinfecting it". The problem is that this material can seep thru the porous tooth and affect surrounding issues and bones. And worse than that, the canals are bleeding and therefore the formaldehyde can get into the blood system and cause systemic problems. There is a long long long story about this issue that the dental world knows about but forgot to tell the rest of us. "Luckily" I was only left with severe nerve pain. Two other stories that I know of left two ladies with a chronic bone infection that about killed one woman and is continuing (after 10+ years) to work on another one. I am aware of a woman who believes it was used on her and she suffers from systemic injuries. She never found out for sure but her dentist lunged at her when she asked if he used Sargenti Paste on her and then filed a restraining order. Unfortunately, her statute of limitations ran out while she was too sick to deal with the legal aspect that would have gotten her some answers. She was diagnosed with heavy metal poisoning. This stuff also has lead and mercury in it.

I was absolutely flabbergasted when I found this out about my injury.

The ADA's ONLY recognized endodontic specialty group (The American association of endodontics, NOT to be confused with the American Endodontic Society which is nothing more than a group of dentists who push the use of this all but illegal material and absolutely put out false information about it including pending FDA approval) is STRONGLY against it. The ADA doesn't recommend it and the FDA claims that it can not be considered safe and effective.

Here are some things that you should look at. It will not allow me to post links so, I'll tell you how to search for them. The first is the AAE's position paper on it. It was originally published in 2005 (I think) and then reissued in 2013. I don't know why they only put the 2013 date in the footer because it makes it look like a new position. Google "Position Statement on Paraformaldehyde-Containing Filling and Sealing Materials". it should take you to the AAE.org site. If both the other lady and you had this material used on them, you are poster children for this AAE position paper where it talks about the possibility of systemic damage.

this next source is to a seriously out of date website that I built when this happened to me as I foolishly thought that if only the regulators knew how much information was out there, surely they would stop this. HA HA...how stupid and naïve could I have been. But, watch the NBC Philadelphia video on it.

Google "sargenti opposition society"

And forget what you read that comes from the American Endodontic Society. I could fill volumes with misinformation that comes out of them, the least of which is their status with the FDA. Never approved, not legitimately working on it, and never will be approved.

feel free to private message me if you want and we can talk about it. Send me your dentist's name and I'll look to see if it is one of the ones that we know are users of it. If this is something that you want to pursue, the first thing that you need to do is get a copy of your dental records before you let the dentist know that you are looking for this. Look for entries like RC2B, RC2W, TCM, paste, N2, N2 Universal...

IF an endodontist did the root canal, it is unlikely to be your issue but not a guarantee. It has been taught in every accredited dental school, since the 70's not to use it and for good reason. What happened to me is now taught at dental schools as the reason you don't use this. My xrays and glossy surgery pictures are in the two leading endodontic textbooks in the U.S. in the chapter about Legal and Ethical Implications of Dentistry (or something like that).

I hope this is not your case.

Last edited by pained; 11-16-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add more info
pained is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote