View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 06:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help Dear Anja

Generally in PCS, ones tolerance to a rise in heart rate, and hence blood pressure, depends where they are in the healing process. If you've are well enough to tolerate moderate aerobic activity, you are unlikely going to surpass these limits with routine daily activities even if you are upset or worried about something.
However, once you've bumped your head again and cause a recurrence of concussive type symptoms (for some, like you and I, the force of that "bump" seems trivial compared to others), your tolerance to elevations of blood pressure will likely drop for a while. With time (this also can be quite variable amongst PCS patients), things gradually improve.
I use to always be push the limits during the recovery process in an act of defiance I guess. However it didn't take me long to figure out I was the the one that suffered longer in the end. I'm now more respective of the healing time after a "bump" and back off activities as much as I can (especially physical training).
I work as a family doctor and working less hours is often difficult. During a recovery cycle, I schedule more "cognitive rest periods" during the day. Being self-employed allows me to do this. Many of you work for an employer and do not have such luxuries. The only thing I could suggest is to educate your boss about the cognitive struggles you have after a relapse. I often write a letter for my patients in similar circumstances informing their employer about the necessary restrictions to allow proper recovery. Perhaps your primary care physician can help.
Hope this information helps.
Cheers, Canadoc

Canadoc
Canadoc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote