View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 08:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon4309 View Post
Hi Made it up and Betsy
I recently was told that the stimulators were good for 2 to 5 years and that they were able to tell when a patient was needing a replacement. I imaging it was terrible for the couple of days that you were without them. How long had they worked before going flat? It makes sense that the lack of dysconesias would lower the metabolism but doesn't explain being hungry all the time. I can't post the link because I a new but I found a really good article on PD in general. JUst google PennStateHershey Parkinsons Disease. The article pretty much covers a lot of questions. I have ordered Forskolin Extract standardized at 20%. This is for weight loss and should not interfere with any PD or DBS benefits. It is not a stimulant but a supplement for weight loss. Normally I would not believe in this but I first heard of it on the DR Oz show. Anyway I will be getting it from Amazon this weeks and let the forum know if I feel any different and what effect ,if any, it has on body fat.
Have a great week!
Damon
Hi Damon and Betsy,
When it was time for my IPG's to be changed after the first wore down the warning light blinked as it was meant to on my patient programmer warning me in my case that one side was showing it was wearing out and so they were both changed at 3 yrs and 11 months.
The second time they needed replacing the warning didn't come on my programmer and then they both showed that they'd both gone completely flat after 4 yrs and 8 months.
I now have a newer programmer (I'm sure yours is same) that Ive been told is more accurate at warning of battery life wearing down plus I really like that I can change my settings up or down a little.
I check it at the start of each month for it to flash so next time I'll have some warning hopefully!
Betsy, I think one of the criteria for DBS is that meds are causing you to have unpredictable offs so it may be some time before you would be classified as a suitable candidate.
That plus I think personally you have to really want it yourself because you feel your own quality of life could improve with it.
Best wishes to you both.
Lee
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote