Thread: MG questions
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Thank you!

Hi Annie B-
Thanks for much for the info! I am on Cymbalta for nerve discomfort (tingling/stabbing/burning) in my legs that I have been experiencing off and on since April. It was worsening when I got to see the neuro in August so he prescribed it for me. It has helped with the nerve discomfort, but my muscle weakness has gotten progressively worse. Not sure if it's because of the Cymbalta or just a coincidence. I am still adjusting to taking it, so I'm hoping the overheating/sweating stops once my body adjusts.

When I saw the neuro in August, he and my GP were working me up for MS due to weakness, tingling and shock-like muscle/nerve pain. My weakness at the time was focused on my left arm and more of a always a little weak feeling. MRI of brain slightly positive, but they couldn't rule MS in or out (small changes that could have also been due to migraines- which I never had until recently).

Over the last few weeks, my weakness has changed from a subjective "feeling" weak to obvious muscle tremors after use. While I'm distressed that I'm getting weaker, it's strangely "nice" to have a problem that my dr can easily see.

I noticed something on a post from about a month ago about dilating drops. I have been having problems with my eyes for a few months and my dr was checking me for optic neuritis (negative). She dilated my eyes and sent me to the waiting room for the meds to take effect. Weird thing- when I was sitting in the waiting room I got the sudden feeling like I couldn't breathe and my throat felt like it was starting to close. I got scared thinking I was having an allergic reaction. Thankfully it passed after about 10 minutes. I read in another person's post that they hated to get the eye drops-- wondering if the problem I had is common in MG patients? I asked the Dr about it and she said she had never had a patient complain about that before. I was already feeling slightly crazy for seeing YET ANOTHER dr, so I didn't press it.

Another weird thing that may be explained by possible MG is my consistently low creatinine level. I have been between 0.3 and 0.5 each time tested. One dr actually questioned me about anorexia/bullemia. My diet isn't great, but Lord knows I eat When I was reading up on MG, I noticed that a low creatinine is not diagnostic of MG, but not unusual in MG. Do you have experience with this?

Thanks again for all of the info- you really cleared up some things that I thought may mean that I don't have MG (like not feeling completely normal after short nap and eye droopy/tired in the morning).

Barb
lotusflwr952 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (11-17-2014)