View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 01:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon4309 View Post
Hi Betsy
Weight gain in DBS is probably different degrees . Mine seem to have leveled off. I am stuck with 229s lbs. My MDS stated 3 to 6 months and it may become stable. Prior to surgery I was to busy worrying about walking and symptoms of
caused by the meds mainly paranoia. Not being able to walk burns calories as do dyskinesias . After DBS there is constant stimulation where the metabolition
becomes stable probably lower. I am not sure what caused the excessive appetite but I have it under control. I try to eat healthy while watching calories
I use the nutribullet for veggies and fruit. I was scared to have DBS. It really is not as bad as it sounds. It does not hurt (mild discomfort). I am due on Dec 18 for my 4th programing. I have only "on" time. The ability to drive has been renewed. The only discomfort is a heavy feeling in my legs which will be targeted at the next programing. The meds have been reduced by about 40%. Congrats on your daughters 25th birthday. To sum it up, when the ability to take care of yourself is gone and the meds stop working as they use to, DBS will enhance your quality of life.
Hi Damon,

So glad that things appear to be heading in the right direction. What a relief this DBS has been for you. Good luck in your next programing. How often does the programing occur; does it differ from person to person? Thank you for the procedure information glad there's no pain, of course. I'll see my neurologist Tuesday and discuss DBS further. It's hard to consider doing such an invasive procedure when my PD seems under control as least at the moment. Meds are taking a toll on me even at low doses. That's why I'm considering the procedure and then the possibility that stem cells might be stimulated to grow.
Right now I'm going to concentrate on the holidays and not worry about DBS until after the new year. Btw does Medicare pay for this procedure or is the expense out of pocket?

All the best to you. Keep me posted how your programing is going.
Betsy
Betsy859 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote