View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Winged Scapula- Long Thoracic Nerve Injury

8 months ago I fell while skiing. It was a pretty dumb fall, I just wasn't paying attention and my skis crossed and I fell forward stretched out in a superman position. It didn't hurt that bad when I fell, but a few days later I was in serious pain. I went to a dr and based on xrays he determined that I fractured my scapula. I was in a sling for a while and at about 6 weeks the pain went away for the most part but I had very limited range of motion and hardly any strength.

I scheduled an appointment with a physical therapist who was surprised at my lack of strength and range of motion due to a fractured scapula. He had me take off my shirt and noticed that my scapula was winging and thought I may have long thoracic nerve palsy. He referred me to a neurologist to do an EMG. The first neurologist ran me through a bunch of tests but said he couldn't test for long thoracic nerve palsy and there was only 1 guy in Utah that would do that kind of EMG. So I went to that guy and he said he couldn't find anything, although he said because I have muscular lats he may not have got the needle in the right place and he was hesitant to try anymore because he didn't want to go through the lung.
So I have a few of questions.
Has anyone had this type of injury?
Is there a doctor that you would recommend? I would fly about anywhere.
I understand that the course of action is generally to wait and it usually gets better. My injury has not improved at all and it's been 8 months. Has anyone had surgery? How were your outcomes and is there a doctor you would recommend?

It seems like there are very few doctors who have experience with this type of injury and I don't know what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Red Arrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote