View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Occipital Neuralgia - 20 year old son

Hi. I am new here and looking for feedback about occipital neuralgia.

My 20 year old son was having bizarre headaches and a neurologist said he it was caused by his occipital nerve being irritated or entrapped - occipital neuralgia.

The neurologist didn't make a huge deal out, like it was pretty common. Frankly, we felt relief that it was not something more serious. Now, after doing research, I am very concerned that we are dealing with a chronic, disabling condition for which there is no actual "cure". I am aware that internet research can lead to nothing but the worst possible scenario cases, so I am trying to keep that in perspective. The neurologist has not given us any indication this is a horrible condition - my husband thinks I am reading/researching too much and freaking myself out!

He is on amitriptyline and got the nerve blocks on Monday, which I understand are diagnostic and well as helpful for the pain. As of yesterday, he was headache free, so they appear to be working. He is a college student, so he is very on edge about "how long" the effects of the shots will last. He has had several very bad days this past month and just wants it all gone! He has not had an injury so the cause (we assume) is tight neck muscles.

Any experience with this? Is it possible that (like some other muscle/nerve issues) this is just an acute situation that will heal with Monday's injections and he can continue with a "normal" life? Is there something specific about this particular never that once irritated, it never returns to normal? Hoping there are positive stories out there. Most of the information online is so negative and scary.

Thank you
holly777 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote