View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwillow View Post
however, as a mother of a young one too (who seriously bounces off the walls with amazing energy both physically and intellectually) try to give yourself a break. Peace.
My child was very young when I had my mva. Rather than telling her to be quiet all the time (which would have been unfair and frustratingly futile), I tried to be practical. Ear plugs didn't cut it, so I bought myself a pair of those industrial muffs construction workers wear.

Did I look odd, walking around the house in them? Probably, but who cares? She got to play with all her loud toys (and friends) without my head imploding.

To cope as a TBI mom, I think you have to learn to prioritize. To say my house is not as tidy as it used to be, would be the understatement of the century. If I expend energy on cleaning, I won't have it to take my kid to the beach. To me, that choice is a no brainer. (no pun intended )

If people are offended by my housekeeping, they're shallow and I don't need them around.

That's another thing TBI patients learn: don't surround yourself with negative people. I like folks who remind me how far I've come since I was injured, not how far I am away from my old self.

You will learn, quickly, who your real friends are.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
goldenwillow (11-20-2014), SweetC (11-22-2014)