View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 10:43 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

YOu need to check with your attorney, BUT, my understanding is the AME medicals must be agreed upon months before hand by BOTH attorneys by letter, then, one side or the other makes up the copies according to the list and delivers the meds to the doctor and the patient CANNOT give the AME anything. (That is unless both sides had previously agreed patient needed to deliver something.) There can be no "unilateral" giving of info. - it must be by both sides.

So again, what you do is check what is on that meds list that both sides is agreeing upon or has agreed upon, make sure it's complete, and for ME, I like MY attorney to do the copying and delivering because the other side really doesn't care about being complete, especially if those reports are ALL in my favor. And of course you can bring it up to your attorney, "hey, you forgot this" and I'd ask that it be added by contacting the other side, letting them know in writing, and then having it delivered (via orvernight mail) to the doc.

Having said that, I don't want to step on any toes, as every attorney or area may have special rules, that's why I always say that this is my experience, now take it to your attorney and ask about it.

If you have a fax, you could ask that the meds list be faxed to you - right? Or you just have to go in and take a look. This is very proactive, but my attorney was thankful - fiance in fact made all of the meds list and packet of meds, so my attorney was VERY thankful not to do the work. The other side had only received about 1/2 of the meds, so they would have been incomplete. (I'm talking about court, but if there had been an AME, the result would've been the same.)

The rest of my experience is just basic common sense on not alienating the doctor. The doctor's attitude may seem cold or even rude - don't let that get to you, as the report could still come out quite on your side - these docs often times don't let their feelings be shown at all. Likewise, beware the smiling cheshire cat - the doc smiles as he asks you questions that are designed to destroy you. My opposing QME asked a lot about my kids - I realized his intent was not small talk, but he thought I was quitting work to take care of grandkids! (I don't have any.) Not that I would have lied, I wouldn't have - but that's why I say listen to the question carefully and answer only that question, it's so important to your situation that you end up with an accurate picture in the doc's mind.

Likewise, don't every lie - as an attorney, I can "fix" just about anything. Leave the strategy to the attorney, you just be honest. I can't tell you how many times someone would lie about something that really would not have mattered, but their lying did. That's why having an attorney, and telling the attorney everything that you have done and now do is so important, prior to all of these exams and deposition.

Again, call me if you need a friend.

Love to you!
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote