View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi CWMB,

Root canaled teeth are chronically infected as there is no access to the hundreds of tiny canals called dentin tubules. So these canals contain necrotic infected nerve tissue. To sum that up, all root canaled teeth are very unhealthy and have the potential of causing or contributing to systemic health problems.

Root canaled teeth are never stable enough to hold a bridge. These teeth have everything wrong with them and are in a very sick and fragile state. When these teeth are drilled upon, it aggravates the inflammation and infection inside the tooth which in turn irritates the nerves and ligament associated with this tooth. Which can trigger other areas of connected nerves that are distant from the tooth. The symptoms you have may wax and wane but the problem of this tooth being infected will not go away. Eventually the bacteria will find a way to release itself and either show up as a fistula (bump poking through the gum above the tooth) or swelling, or if it is an upper tooth it can find it's way into the sinus, or you will develop a deep pocket around this tooth where the bacteria will drain from but where other bacteria will be able to get into.

I am sorry to telly you that the only way to remove the chronic infection is to remove the source which is the rc tooth. Yes, that would ruin your bridge and you would be left with 2 missing molars :/ Your dentist should have informed you about all of this before you agreed to have that bridge done.
I'm sorry to be telling you this after you had the bridge done.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMB View Post
Thank you SO much for your response Bryanna. The tooth associated with the bridge is indeed root canaled. Today, the irritation surrounding it seems to have lessened but it seems to come and go… and always slightly be there. I'm really worried that I may lose this tooth because if so, I will then also lose the fake tooth in the bridge…. and then what do I do?? I will have my 2 back molars missing. It really makes me feel panicked! Any advice is so appreciated!
[/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote