View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Cc83,

I think that area of your mouth has been through so much trauma and infection may or may not be a contributing factor. Anytime a tooth is extracted there is a risk of developing a necrosis in the jawbone this is referred to as osteonecrosis, osteomyelitis, NICO or cavitation. This possibility is elevated if the tooth extracted had been root canaled due to the abundance of bacteria that resides in and around root canaled teeth. Sometimes this can be detected on a dental radio graph, other times a CT scan, and other times only be means of a small surgical intervention into the site.

If your OS is not interested in further evaluation of your case, then yes, see someone else. I personally do not recommend dental practices that are rely solely on insurance money as they tend to be less interested in the patients care and often not as skilled as someone in private practice. Sorry, but that's the name of that game :/

Bryanna

[QUOTE=Cc83;1109135]Thank you Bryanna. It was very helpful. I still do not eat on that side at all. While the pain has lessened I still cannot have any food or liquid touch the site. I am going to my os on Tuesday. I will ask him for that xray. I know that diagnosis cannot be done over the Internet but does it sound like I have a jawbone infection? I asked my os about my jaw bone and he said there's no way to know. Also my last xray was the day of the extraction. Should I have already had an xray? Should I see another type of doctor regarding infection bc my os seems very uninterested in my case.
Thanks again.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote