View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

"When will I be better?" is a question, I believe, all TBI patients ask. There is no definitive answer. The brain is complex, so every injury is unique. No one can predict how quickly, or how completely, someone will recover.

The good news is that the vast majority of patients do experience significant recovery. It can take time, though, so patience, though difficult, is important.

I had a very serious TBI. Initially, I couldn't count backwards or speak in full, coherent sentences. I will never be 100% the person I was before, but thanks to time, and cognitive therapy, I'm able to compose this missive.

As you had a pretty violent fall, one thing that might be helpful is to determine if damage to your neck is causing and/or aggravating some of your symptoms.

Many TBIs involve an element of whiplash. My doctors believe that some of my issues, including volatile moods, sleep disruption, speech aphasia, memory problems, etc... are the product of my TBI. My headaches, neurological deficits, etc... are more likely attributable to spinal cord damage.

In my case, the damage is such that intervention carries too great a risk of paralysis. However, many patients do find relief from appropriate treatments for their necks. If it hasn't already happened, you should consider having your neck examined by someone competent to find the subtle injuries that can lead to rather unsubtle symptoms.

To access the TBI, you might want to consider undergoing neuro-psychological testing. The neuro-psych remains the best way to identify deficits and target cognitive and occupational therapies that might improve the quality of your recovery.

Don't be hesitant to seek help with the emotional symptoms of your TBI. Depression, anxiety and anger problems are all common and, untreated, can undermine the speed and extent of your recovery.

In short, I'm an advocate of getting as accurate a picture as possible of one's condition. We can best deal with things, when we know with what we are dealing.

I will not lecture you on your drug use. I will, however, caution you that the diminished impulse control and depression that often accompany concussion, make TBI patients significantly more vulnerable to serious substance abuse issues.

Also, be honest with your clinicians about your alcohol and recreational drug consumption. Mixing those things, with some of the medications commonly used for TBI, could be very dangerous.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (11-24-2014), music-in-me (11-24-2014)