Thread: Bone Graft Pain
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi valligator,

Normal post op pain from an extracted tooth varies from one person to another. You should be rinsing with warm salt water 3-4 times a day. Avoid mouthwash of any kind as the chemicals are irritating to the wound and mouthwashes really don't serve any helpful benefit anyway. Avoid eating on that site as much as possible until the gum closes over. Do not try to stick anything into the hole to remove what you think may be debris as you could be pulling out the tissue that was formed by the clot.

You should always have a post op appointment with the dentist who removed the tooth 10-14 days after the extraction for him to evaluate the socket.

Do you have that appointment set up?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by valligator View Post
Hello!

I had #19 pulled a little over 2 weeks ago and a bone graft at the same time. I had to go back in a few days after to have it restitched, but other than that, I think it's healing appropriately. It still hurts though. Is it normal for it to still hurt? It aches. And when I close my mouth, the tooth in front of the one that I had extracted is super tender. It almost feels magnetic to the tooth above it, if that makes any sense - or like sticky. But I think it's just pain that I'm interpreting in that way.

Because I take fluoxetine, I can't take ibuprofen and tylenol isn't doing anything for it. It's manageable, but it does hurt. It has gotten better since it was done, but the pain level has been pretty consistent for the past 10 days or so. Not worse, but not much better. I'm just hoping it's normal - I'm a bit of a worrier.

Also, I can still see some yellow in the extraction site - is that the membrane? A part of me worries that there's food stuck in there and my skin is going to grow over it and make problems.

My dentist didn't give me any post-op instructions so I have no idea what's normal and what's not. Any advice from you guys would be helpful.

Thank you!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote