View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I just posted something on nerve and joint function on the laptop post...

Muscles need stimulation from nerves to function, if they don't get it they atrophy.

On the IVIG, it is actually made from about 1,000 donors per bag, however it is chemically washed, and they get out 'most' stuff that we know of, even Prions. It is probably the safest of blood products. If your problem is autoimmune, it is a good option.

People think steroids build up muscles...not the kind of steroids that you get for autoimmune disease...they can cause myopathy.

IVIG does not actually build up muscles. It is an immunmodulator. It is used to build up immune systems in immunocompromised patients, and to suppress the immune system in autoimmune disease....must be smart stuff.

I had a course of it for 6 months, but it did not help my problem at least they didn't think it did. It is usually reserved for autoimmune conditions due to cost of $3000 or so per bag. If something autoimmune pops up in the future...it would be my choice over steroids...did awful on those.

I started Lyrica two weeks ago and have been on a tiny dose, and have felt totally brain dead. Not for me....plus I gained about 5 pounds...no wonder, I just laid around.....feeling gloomy...and I had nightmares to beat the band!

It is probably a good drug for many people. I couldn't handle Cymbalta either, not without a portapotty attached....oh, and I had complete, utter insomnia.

Discuss your pain frankly with your doctor and tell him what does and doesn't work...I have found nothing that works fully...mostly just stuff to take the edge off. I have noticed when I get calf pain, sometimes, not always a magnesium tablet helps...but check with your doc.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote