View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
While I agree than many PCS and TBI patients may minimize or not recognize their own symptoms and dysfunctions, Ash was referring to her recollection of her injury as compared to her son's recollection of her injury.

My point was that her poor recollection of the specifics of her injury likely did not have much to do with the level of care and treatment provided by her doctors.

This issue has been brought up before in the mistaken understanding that the patient's failure to properly remember the specifics of the injury caused doctors to provide less than adequate treatment.
I agree, Mark, with your reading of what Ash was trying to do. And I agree with you that, regardless of the mechanism of injury, it's the resulting symptoms and deficits that matter.

My point was that I believe Ash might not have recognized completely the totality of what Headway was trying to communicate in the phrase "don't trust what you know about your injury."

I think that, like you, they are drawing attention to the identification and acceptance of symptoms, more so than the importance of trying to recall all the details of everything that happened in the lead up to, and immediate aftermath of, the acquisition of the injury.

I will probably never remember everything that happened during my mva. That doesn't matter. My neuro-psych identified my deficits and I'm dealing with them. That's what's most important - and what it really means to know your injury.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote