View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 02:53 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default We're in this together

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ash_ View Post
I've been reading a fair few threads on here but dont often reply. Because they me me cry, feeling guilt, shame...and relief.

And guilt beceasue I start to think maybe theyre right. Maybe I am scum.

Which is stupid, beuase even injured we are a good family, trying our best.

This has turned into a bit of a whinge, huh? Sorry...
Ash, as I am certainly learning right now, being a mother of 4, a wife and a fledgling teacher who's career is already in such turmoil, you need to try take it easy on yourself. You can only do so much and right now the most important things in your world are healing and being there for your son. All you CAN do is try your best.

I totally get the guilt and shame and so many emotions having a TBI brings up. This has been the most lonely, frustrating and humbling experience in my life. It's a huge comfort to know that we, in fact, are not alone.

While it can be difficult to block out those who are negative influences on your well being, whether an acquaintance or supposed dear friend, you have to try. You don't need that in your life. I too, hate the sidelong glances or looks of pity or strange looks from lack of understanding.

I hate being disappointed by those I had expected would be a support and have failed me so far. Sorry to sound crass, but screw them though. No one matters if they're not there to support you in some way.

I agree with Music-in-me to be sure to accept any help that IS offered. I've been learning to swallow my pride and accept help which is extremely difficult for me. I am used to being fiercely independent. Learning and accepting my new limitations is an enormous challenge.

A neighbor dropped off a box of donated food from their church yesterday and boy, was I a mix of emotions. I don't like being seen as a charity case. "That's not me! There are others worse off!" I can't help but think. The reality of it is though that my health, my career and my family's future is uncertain and the help IS needed and appreciated. It's tough to swallow.

All of it is tough but I feel hopeful though that together we can celebrate our baby steps of progress. Any forward movement is than none, right?
SweetC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote