View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 04:06 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

[QUOTE=mdiane630;1108248]Welcome to the group that none of us really wants to be "qualified" for! I was also injured in a cycling accident, was mis-diagnosed, tried to push through, and after 17 months, am still dealing with acceptance of my "new normal" but not giving up hope for improvement.

I think as athletes, we not only have the mentality of pushing ourselves and developing a high tolerance for pain (that sometimes masks serious injuries), but also find that when our ability to exercise at high levels is taken from us, we suffer more from the withdrawal, both physically and mentally.

-Thank you so much for your support.

I completely agree that trying to accept your 'new normal' is quite hard to do. I keep thinking that I became that person and athlete I was with the same brain that I have now. And if I continue to focus on healing like I did on racing events, then I can know I will get better despite the injury.

Not exercising at that level is extremely hard. Getting fatigued after 15 minutes gets pretty frustrating. Have you found exercises you can do that you can sustain for longer periods of time?

Also, what is your supplement routine like currently?

The social thing is very hard as well. Thank you again for your candidness. What you are going through is exactly that which I am adjusting to currently. It's hard but there has got to be a silver lining in here somewhere!!

Therapy: Vision therapy to improve focal and ambient systems Neuropsychological testing and treatment Vestibular therapy Gabapentin 1800mgs/daily Clonazapam when needed

Natural Therapy and Supplements: Brain breaks every 2 hours Meditation GABA 1000 mcgs B12 1000 mcgs Niacin 3000-5000 mgs (this has significantly helped with brain fog, mood control, and depression) Nordic Naturals Fish Oil 2000mgs Potassium Multi V Glucosamine 5HTP Vitamin D 1500mgs

"Your True Self contains Every Possibility"
-Deepak Chopra
=}
[/SIZE]
ilikepolkadots is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote