View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 04:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 15 and post concussion syndrome

Hi. My 15 year old was hit in the head Oct 2 with a volleyball serve when she was bending over to retrieve a ball. The girl serving it is going to OSU this fall on a volleyball scholarship. Needless to say her head snapped back and it knocked her backwards to the ground. When she came to they were dragging her from the court. She was disoriented and confused. The trainers looked at her and called me to come. I took her statcare and then to the Er. She was disoriented until about 4 hours. They did a cat scan which looked clear. I took her home and she slept and stayed home the next day. That weekend she went to a game and out to eat. She had a headache. I think she slept in Mon but returned to school late. She took an impact test which she couldn't pass. I cancelled the sports med dr. Since the trainer said her score was too high. On and off she would sleep in or come home early and couldn't pass the impact test. Finally we saw the dr. We found out she was off balance. He sent her to the pt. He said extra time on school work. She is a pitcher and pitched a game plus practiced. After that her head and neck really hurt. We went to the pt. She did tests and saw her eyes were jumping and balance was off and neck hurt. She wasn't sleeping through the night. They did some exercises and told us to talk to the dr. Since she was in pain. He sent us to a neurologist. By this time her A and B average have gone to D's and F's. She has taken incompletes. He told her not to take tests. She was still calling me from school about headaches. The neurologist said bed rest off school for 3 weeks. Now it has been 2 months. He said to rest. Her neck hurts, she gets headaches and her eyes go different ways and she gets dizzy and falls over and she can't stay asleep. She is emotional high and low. She doesn't go out much. It's sad! She was social and now she is a loner! When will she be back to her old self?
msnyder is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote