View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi frostyjohn,

Thanks for checking back in with us.

Yes, have the endoscopy done. The reason they are hesitant to open up the gum and explore is because it may only provide a limited view of what now happening. At the onset of this problem that may have been a different story, but now the best surgical approach may be to look at it from the sinus down. I hope that makes sense to you.

Yes, getting an OS involved may be necessary because if there is oral bone involvement, the ENT is not going to touch that. I have known many cases like yours that go on for years without being properly diagnosed because people give up in despair. I tip my hat to you for being so diligent in this. I know it can be all too consuming, but keep forging ahead and the sooner this is taken care of, the better the outcome will be.

Please keep us in the loop!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjohn View Post
So I saw the other ENT for a second opinion, who focuses more on surgery, about 2 weeks ago as recommended by the last lady I saw. This ENT said that I definitely have a problem and am likely heading towards surgery. I asked him what he thought I had and he said he didn't know but that my MRI scan shows possible evidence of an oral-antral fistula. I then asked him if he thought it was my gum or my sinus which needed to be focused on. He wants to do an endoscopy on my left maxillary sinus (the one affected) pretty soon. He said he wants to go in and clean it out and see if that fixes the problem and if it doesn't he will have to get an oral surgeon involved. I guess it also allows him to look inside my sinus with a camera.

Do you guys think proceeding with the endoscopy is a good idea? So far it seems like my best route. I was wondering why they don't proceed to just open up my gum, but I guess there is no obvious fistula so they don't want to go that far just yet. What do you guys think?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote