View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

This might not be directly linked to my question, but generally speaking of the causes of concussions, since it's now confirmed I've, along with all of you, at least suffered a mTBI at some point in our lives, what is the aftermath?

I've heard that repetitive head trauma, concussive or subconcussive, can lead to CTE and/or eventually dementia due to the build up of tau protein in regions of the brain. Do you guys think that one single concussion develops abnormal levels of tau in the brain? Or do we have the ability to heal and prevent permanent damage if no further interruption of brain activity are to be present? I've just seen an NFL documentary where they seem to mention tau protein a lot, but according to them, it normally doesn't build up by one concussion. Long term repetitive hits are apparently required and some even have a genetic advantage. Anyways, will there be the slightest amount of abnormal levels of tau protein in the brain just because of one concussive impact during one's lifetime?
Minimac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote