View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 11:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome ellsac,

For what it's worth, my fasting glucose is 80 and my A1c 5.2%, but other testing shows glucose issues. I've been self-monitoring at home which shows a definite problem.

If you want to pursue possible problems in this area, you can get a very inexpensive glucose monitor from a place like Walgreens (and get a full rebate on the price) and get just a few strips to check things out.

In a "normal" person, glucose shouldn't rise about 140. An apple sends me into the 160s, and a high carb meal does the same and I stay there for hours.

In consulting with some diabetics on forums, I've been told I'm "on the spectrum" and any A1c reading out of the 4s is a sign of trouble. They also said by the the time your fasting glucose is in the pre-diabetic area of 100, your pancreas has already taken a hit. It's apparently a very poor screening parameter as it's late to the party, so to speak.

Whether or not it's the cause of my SFN is a matter of debate, but given that something like 50% of all people with SFN are diabetic or pre-diabetic, I certainly am not ruling it out.

Janie
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (12-03-2014)