View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Frederique,

Welcome and thank you for the positive comments!

It is normal for the adjacent tooth to be sensitive after the wisdom tooth is removed. Sometimes the wisdom tooth was in close proximity to the second molar and once the wisdom tooth is removed that portion of second molar that was covered by the wisdom tooth is now exposed. Sometimes a very small area of the jaw bone that covered a portion of the second molar was removed because it was attached to the wisdom tooth or it splintered off during the removal and that could result in some gum recession exposing a tiny bit of the root surface of the second molar.

Generally as the bone and gum tissue heal, the sensitivity goes away. But sometimes the gum recedes in that spot more than normal and the tooth remains a bit sensitive to cold air or the bristle of your tooth brush or the scraping of your fingernail.

It is truly best to have your general dentist examine that area to be sure that the second molar in not cracked, that the filling in that tooth is still intact and to monitor the recession in that area. He should also check the depth of the pocket around that entire tooth to be sure it is within normal limits.

I would also advise that you not chew on that area until the soreness subsides.

Hope you find this information helpful. Check back and let us know how you are doing!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederique1 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

While searching for an answer to my questions, I stumbled upon this website & found your posts to be really detailed & insightful.
I hope you can help me.
About two months ago I had 2 impacted lower wisdom teeth removed under general anesthesia. I experienced a lot of pain the first few weeks after surgery.
Fortunately, things are a lot better now. However, I still have some pain on the right side (surgeon said that the tooth on this side was the most difficult one to remove). The gums are still sore & especially the adjacent second molar is playing up.
It's sensitive to touch. I have no problems with hot or cold foods/drinks. Breathing in cold air can be a litte sensitive, but nothing too serious.
The thing that bothers me most is the fact that chewing is sensitive. It's not like a sharp or excrutiating pain, but still sensitive. Even when I touch the entire tooth with my fingernail it feels sensitive.
Is all of this normal? Even 2 months after surgery?

I'm a little worried because everytime I try to look something up on google, I read about "cracked tooth syndrome" & stuff like that. However, I find that the tooth in question never caused problems before. It has a small filling, but that's it. It never had a root canal or anything else.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Frederique

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote