View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 04:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Maygin,

So sorry for the reason you're here. Couple of general comments; hoping some of my experience can help you:

Nerve blocks can provide a temporary respite from the pain. Some respites last longer for some people, some get very limited short term relief, some don't get any relief at all, and some experience complications from the nerve block itself. To me, it's pretty evident that if you take a condition like RSD that is already supremely sensitive to ANYTHING invasive or stressful, nerve blocks are playing with fire. Personally I chose to avoid them in favor of a lot of the things you're already doing. But others have stated they've had success with them. The fact that you haven't proceeded with a series of blocks may actually be a blessing Don't beat yourself up any more on that... you're dealing with more than enough as it is.

Mirror therapy and physical therapy are awesome modalities, especially since you caught this so early. But there is a fine line between pushing too hard and not pushing hard enough. As far as the therapy goes - YOU know your own body better than anybody else, and you don't have accept everything your PTs, or even our doctors, say as gospel. As far as MDs and PTs --- they're supposed to serve as advisors- you're paying them to help YOU heal YOU and get on with your life.

Secondly - metatarsal stress fractures are notoriously slow to heal, and there are all kinds of potential symptoms that can arise from compressed nerves and bloodflow in the foot that mirror RSD, so it's not surprising that you've gotten conflicting diagnoses from different medical professionals (having read your intro on the other thread.) As to whether you "have it" (RSD) or not, continuing pain beyond the norm is the most meaningful barometer. Only you know what the norm is - and that's tough to ascertain with something like a fracture in an area that is constantly weightbearing and indundated with nerve endings.

Third - here's a link to the stuff I did that helped me: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread205597.html. Take what you like and leave the rest

For what it's worth, I have been in a very similar place to where you are now. Even after I'd started my own aggressive therapy regimen, things hadn't turned around, and actually got worse, and I finally went to the ER fearing spread because I felt completely helpless and didn't know what to do. (It didn't spread, and the RSD completely resolved, and I've been fully recovered for over a year now.) The depression and sense of helplessness were the hardest to overcome. I had to convince myself I was worthy of recovering, if that makes sense... you are worthy I promise you that.

Also - same as you: my RSD foot turned from warm to cold after around 90 days post diagnosis. I think it was partly because of the continued swelling restricting bloodflow, and partly because of the weather change to colder temps.

Lastly and most importantly, your PT is right -- the fact that the pain is REDUCING is a great great great sign

Hope some of this helps!
visioniosiv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluekrikit (12-12-2014), Inspiretoday (12-17-2014), irpuregenius (12-15-2014), maygin (12-04-2014)